Connecticut Club ATV

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organizing Connecticut's Responsible ATV Owners

4 posters

Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread

JamieD
    JamieD
    Admin

Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread Empty Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread

Post  JamieD Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi,

My name is Jamie Debicella, and I am an ATV enthusiast. I graduated from Fairfield University in 2011 Summa Cum Laude with a BA in Musical Performance and English Literature, and am currently completing a Master of Arts program in American Studies there as well. I am also an active Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society member.

I started this forum in response to the frustration I have with owning an ATV in a state that simply fails to recognize both the 70,000+ ATV populous and also the revenue that could result from creating simple trail loops on state lands. I began riding 9 years ago at age 14, when I had a 2002 Suzuki Ozark. In 2006, I sold my quad to purchase my first car. Almost six years later, I recently ended up purchasing a 1982 Suzuki LT125, the first 4-wheel ATV ever produced. I am now faced with the problem of finding legal areas to ride my ATV, and I simply refuse to accept that my only option is to register my quad in the State of Massachusetts to enjoy riding up there. I also own a 1994 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8.

I have been in contact with Connecticut State Representative Joseph Mylie of The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council and Jerry Shinners of the New England Trail Riders Association, and both agree that the CT ATV community needs to better organize in order for the state to better recognize a need for imminent change. I list my academic achievements above to demonstrate that there is an unnecessary stigma associated with ATV owners in this state; off-road vehicle users have been portrayed as reckless individuals who have little concern for preserving the environment around them. For example, the following website, published by Teresa Gallagher, trail volunteer and Conservation Agent for the City of Shelton Conservation Commission, espouses this prevalent anti-atv attitude:

http://borntoexplore.org/trails/atvs.htm

This is a woefully inaccurate portrait of the ATV community in Connecticut, especially in my hometown, and I hope through the help of this forum to better organize and change the public image of off-road vehicles and their owners. While it is frustrating that ATV owners do indeed destroy public property by trespassing, it is equally frustrating and even more unreasonable that the State of Connecticut promotes legal ATV registration while not offering any legal trail loop systems available to 3 and 4-wheeled ORV's. It appears that while serious state funding through the DEP can be spent towards enforcing anti-atv policy, no money can be put towards creating a trail system that would actually serve to alleviate the issue at hand AND provide revenue for the state.

This all being said, moderators and myself will be posting dates of legislative meetings, forum discussion meetings, and other ways that you are all encouraged to get involved in to support this cause. At the last recent meeting that Representative Mylie attended in pertinence to off-road vehicles, not one of Connecticut's 70,000 ATV owners was present at the hearing. We all want to ride, but in order to make legal trail riding in CT a reality, we need to organize and collectively approach this issue that has been plaguing the ATV community since 1986. Please try to attend ALL meetings that we post in advance, and help us make the best possible showing towards our cause.

Thanks very much, and I hope to see you all in legal Connecticut trails someday.

- Jamie D
    kmoshe
    kmoshe

Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread Empty Re: Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread

Post  kmoshe Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:53 pm

I need no introduction
    SpiderViper
    SpiderViper

Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread Empty Re: Connecticut ATV Founder's Introductory Thread

Post  SpiderViper Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 pm

I am Chris B. I enjoy riding in NY and in CT on many types of vehicles from jet skis to snowmobiles and quads. I would love to see some close trails here so I can ride without worrying about the people in blue or dark green uniforms! Suspect alien
    Mikey97D

Post  Mikey97D Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 am

Hello!

My name is Mike Dravis. I am a Pathfinder MC member & NETRA member.

I've posted this forum up on the Pathfinder's forum strongly urging other members to join on here.

Thank you Jamie for stepping up. We need this!

-Mike
    JamieD
    JamieD
    Admin

Post  JamieD Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words and joining the forum Mike!
    Mikey97D

Post  Mikey97D Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Jamie - May I suggest changing some of the current board's color schemes? Currently the blue is very difficult to read against the dark background. It was difficult to register because some of the fields descriptions were almost invisible unless you highlighted the area.

Also, I've contact to the NEDB forum about making a thread there too regarding connecticutatv. Would this be okay with you too?

Thanks,
    Mike
    JamieD
    JamieD
    Admin

Post  JamieD Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Made the changes to the color schemes, thanks Mike. Go ahead and bring over as many people as you like from the other forums and thanks!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content